ALL up-to-date information about THE AUSTRALIAN BOOKPLATE DESIGN AWARD 2013 can be found at:
Dear Bookplate Lovers,
Edwin Jewell and I, as Trustees of the Keith Wingrove Memorial Trust are please to announce details of The Australian Bookplate Design Award for 2013.
The Awards for 2013 also herald the beginning of a strategic liaison between the Keith Wingrove Memorial Trust and the State Library of Victoria. This means that The Australian Bookplate Design Award for 2013 is conducted in association with the State Library of Victoria. This development ensures institutional support for The Awards; improves the administration and promotion of The Awards; and benefits the development of the Bookplate collection held within the State Library of Victoria.
The Australian Bookplate Design Award is the richest such award in the world, with a prize pool of AUD$14,500 for 2013. The Awards are designed to encourage Ex Libris Bookplate creation by Australian artists and designers as well as bringing the concept of Ex Libris Bookplates to the attention of young people in primary, secondary and tertiary educational institutions.
The Trustees also announce: For the first time, an award category is being offered for the best Bookplate design by a non-Australian artist and we openly encourage all artists to submit Bookplate designs and for 2013. The Trustees have extended the period of creation of these designs for 2013 only, to cover the past ten years. The prize for the best Bookplate design by a non-Australian is AUD$2,500 plus the medallion.
The Trustees seek the assistance of all Bookplate societies affiliated with the International Federation of Ex-libris Societies (FISAE) to promote The Australian Bookplate Design Award for 2013 amongst their own membership and to artists within their own country.
The award winners will be displayed at the State Library of Victoria.
The Trustees also announce: The Fire Station Print Studio, Armadale, Victoria has been appointed as a Centre of Ex Libris Excellence and from 30 July 2013 will permanently exhibit a changing display of fifty Ex Libris Bookplates. In addition, a special exhibition of the best one hundred and fifty Bookplates submitted to The Australian Bookplate Design Award for 2013 will be exhibited at The Fire Station Print Studio. The Print Studio is a community based, not-for-profit 'access' printmaking workshop specialising in Intaglio and Relief printmaking techniques and many artist members are willing to undertake Bookplate commissions.
Robert C. Littlewood
The Keith Wingrove Memorial Trust
THE AUSTRALIAN BOOKPLATE DESIGN AWARD 2013
The Trustees of the Keith Wingrove Memorial Trust announce the Australian Bookplate Design Award for 2013.
Closing Date: 15 November 2013
Date of Awards Announcement: 6 December 2013
THE BEST AUSTRALIAN BOOKPLATE DESIGN
Prize $7,500 plus medallion
THE BEST INTERNATIONAL BOOKPLATE DESIGN
Prize $2,500 plus medallion
THE BEST AUSTRALIAN ETCHED BOOKPLATE
Prize $1,000 plus medallion
THE BEST AUSTRALIAN RELIEF BOOKPLATE
Prize $1,000 plus medallion
THE BEST AUSTRALIAN TERTIARY STUDENT DESIGN
Prize $500 plus medallion
THE BEST AUSTRALIAN SECONDARY STUDENT DESIGN
Prize Medallion plus the student's school will receive art materials valued at $1,000
THE BEST AUSTRALIAN PRIMARY STUDENT DESIGN
Prize Medallion plus the student's school will receive art materials valued at $1,000
1. The Keith Wingrove Memorial Trust conducts a competition among Australian artists, graphic designers and students for the production of Ex Libris Bookplates. The competition is called The Australian Bookplate Design Award. The purpose of the competition is to increase interest in and to attract publicity to the artistic value of bookplates. Although the competition is referred to as 'Australian' there is a category of award open to International artists.
2. The Trustees have chosen the following themes for the Keith Wingrove Memorial design Award:
· Best overall bookplate design by any Australian artist.
· Best overall bookplate design by any non-Australian artist.
· Best etched bookplate design by any Australian artist.
· Best relief print bookplate design by any Australian artist.
· Best Australian Tertiary student design.
· Best Australian Secondary student design.
· Best Australian Primary student design.
3. In order to qualify in any category the following minimum conditions will apply:
The bookplate will mention the owner’s name.
The bookplate must be appropriate for marking the ownership of books.
The Bookplate owner must be a living person or an existing Institution.
The design will incorporate the words Ex Libris or similar designation, such as 'His Book' or 'Her Book'.
The image will have a maximum height of 15 cm and width of 15cm.
The image will be printed on paper to a maximum size of A4.
The Australian bookplates will have been designed and printed since January 2009.
Because this is the first year in which an International award is offered the Bookplates submitted may have been produced since 2003.
4. All graphic art techniques are permitted including photography and Computer Based Design.
5. Bookplates usually exists as multiples for use within the owner's library, therefore evidence of replication must be verified and only printed bookplates will be accepted. Original drawings, original designs and photocopies will be excluded.
6. Three copies of each bookplate must be submitted together with the official entry form. Each of the three Bookplates submitted must be signed in pencil by the artist.
7. All bookplates become the property of the Trust by donation. No compensation will be made by the Trust for any bookplates submitted to the competition. These bookplates may be donated to an educational institution or public library or may be disposed of to raise funds for the Trust or in any way which the Trustees deem appropriate.
8. The Trustees of the Keith Wingrove Memorial Trust will decide all prizes and will be advised by a three person panel of Judges. The panel of Judges will be assembled from practising artists, designers, collectors and representatives of public libraries. The Judges will have regard to the artistic and technical qualities of the bookplates, as well as originality and merit as a mark of ownership, which combines concept, image and text. The decision of The Trustees will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
9. The Trustees and the Judges reserve the right not to award prizes in any one section or category, at their discretion.
10. Finalist entries will be displayed at the State Library of Victoria with a more comprehensive exhibition of the Award winners and the best bookplates will be held at The Fire Station Print Studio in Armadale, Victoria.
11. Applications for the Australian Bookplate Design Award must be submitted on the official Application Form available on facebook or by request from The Trustees by contacting Edwin Jewell, P. O. Box 927, Templestowe, Victoria 3106 AUSTRALIA or Telephone 0418 515 256 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
12. All information about dates, current addresses and locations will be posted on Facebook:
The Trustees & Contact Details:
Robert C Littlewood
The Australian Bookplate Design Award
Keith Wingrove Memorial Trust
P. O. Box 927
Telephone: 0418 515 256
All Bookplate entries for the Australian Bookplate Design Award 2013 must be sent with the official down-loadable entry form directly to:
XXXV CONGRESO INTERNACIONAL DE EXLIBRISTAS “CATALUÑA, 2014” Estimado exlibrista: La semana del 22 al 28 de abril de 2014, celebraremos el XXXV CONGRESO INTERNACIONAL DE EXLIBRISTAS de la FISAE, CATALUÑA-2014. Nos gustaría poder contar con su participación y de este modo intercambiar exlibris, conocimientos y vivencias. La información sobre el Congreso la puede encontrar en: http://ex-libris.cat http://ex-libris.cat/congres-internacional/vila-seca-2014.htm Esperando poderle saludar personalmente reciba entretanto un cordial saludo de XXXV INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF EXLIBRISTS “CATALUNYA – 2014” Dear exlibrist: From the 22 to 28 of April, 2014, we will celebrate the XXXV FISAE INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF EXLIBRISTS. CATALUNYA – 2014. We would like rely on your participation and in this way interchange exlibris, knowledge and experiences. You could find all information about the Congress at: http://ex-libris.cat http://ex-libris.cat/congres-internacional/vila-seca-2014.htm Looking forward to seeing you personally receive a meanwhile hearty greeting from. Mariano Casas Hierro Calle Santa Ana, 16 43003 – TARRAGONA
XXXV INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF EXLIBRISTS
“CATALUNYA – 2014”
Dear exlibrist: From the 22 to 28 of April, 2014, we will celebrate the XXXV FISAE INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF EXLIBRISTS. CATALUNYA – 2014, according to the attached estimate and programm. We would like to rely on your participation and in this way interchange exlibris, knowledge and experiences. Exlibris, among other things, are useful to promote friendship amid people from different places, creeds, ideas,... who have in common great sensibility, love for beauty, generosity, desires of making new acquainances and to meet again friends and colleagues. In the believe, that this is the best, we have chosen as the meeting center and residence place the hotel PALAS complex situated in La Pineda Beach in Vila-seca, a few kilometers from Tarragona and about a hundred from Barcelona. If you want to stay in another place or if you do not need any residence place, the subscription fee for the Congress is 185 Euro per person which includes: acreditation, documentation, assistence to the interchanging sessions, demonstrations, exhibitions, inauguration and gala dinner, transport not included. The inscriptions and the entrance fee must be done before the 30/01/2014 to: email@example.com. And the hotel entrance fee to the HOTEL PALAS, INSAGRA UNO, S.L. BANCO SANTANDER – CODE SWIFT : BSCHESMM – IBAN: ES75 – 0049-1877-46- 2110729236. Looking foward to seeing you personally recieve a meanwhile hearty greeting from Mariano Casas Hierro. President of the Associació Catalana d'Exlibristes. President of FISAE. Calle Santa Anna, 16. 43003 – TARRAGONA. firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROGRAMME PLANNING BUDGET
2 3 4 1 OPC April 22 (Tuesday) – Arrival of participants (full board). Handing over of credentials and documentation to participants. In the afternoon, Inauguration of the Congress. Availability of 41 - 38 - 36 - 59 the ex-libris changing room (x) April 23 (Wednesday) – FEAST OF SAINT GEORGE, PATRON SAINT OF CATALONIA, FEAST OF THE BOOK AND THE ROSE.Visit to the Ex-libris exhibitions at platform num. 4 in the Tarragona Port, the Ex-libris of Saint George at Diputació de Tarragona (1) , Xylographic Ex-libris at the Museum of Modern Art (10). Later on at Rambla de Tarragona folklore demonstration (sardanes (dancing), castellers (human castles)...). 41 - 38 - 36 - 59 Return trip to the hotel from the Bus Station (20). The changing room will be available all day long (x). (Full board). April 24 (Thursday) – In the morning, visit to the MONASTERY 41 - 38 - 36 - 59 25 OF POBLET. The changing room will be available all day long (X). (Full board). April 25 (Friday) – TOUR TO BARCELONA: VISIT TO THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF ART OF CATALONIA. VISIT AND MEAL AT PUEBLO ESPAÑOL. 38 - 35 - 33 - 56 65 VISIT TO LA SAGRADA FAMILIA. The changing room will be available all day long (x) (Half board). April 26 (Saturday) - FISAE GENERAL ASSEMBLY and GALA DINNER ( in the same hotel). The changing room 38 - 35 - 33 - 56 will be available all day long (x) (half board + gala dinner). April 27 (Sunday) – In the morning, visit to REUS ( Route of Modernism).(Full board). The changing room will be available all day long (x). 41 - 38 - 36 - 59 20 April 28 ( Monday) – Departure of participants (breakfast only). INSCRIPTION (compulsory) 185 Euro PER PERSON---- PLUS-------240 or 222 or 210 or 348+110 BOOKING MUST BE DONE BEFORE 10-01-2014 to email@example.com and PAYMENT BEFORE 30-01-2014 to the bank account HOTEL PALAS, INSAGRA UNO, S.L. BANCO DE SANTANDER CODE SWIFT: BSCHESMM – IBAN : ES 75-0049-1877-46- 21100729236. -(x) The changing room will be available 24 hours all days. -The private company PLANA makes some daily trips from Barcelona Airport to La Pineda (Palas Hotels) www.busplana.com. -FOR MORE INFORMATION: www. lapinedaplatja.info www.grouppalas.com www.vila-seca.cat www.reusturisme.cat www.porttarragona.cat www.diputaciotarragona.cat www.tarragonaturisme.cat www.poblet.cat www.larutadelcister.info.www.mnac.cat www.pobleespanyol.com www.sagradafamilia.cat. THE DAYS OF STAYING AT THE HOTEL CAN BE REDUCED OR INCREASED. 2 = double bedroom, 3 = triple bedroom , 4 = four people bedroom and 1 = single bedroom OPC = OPTIONAL *LECTURES AND DEMONSTRATIONS WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN A TIMELY WAY Note du Webmaster de l'AFCEL : Une fois de plus nous remarquons que les statuts de la FISAE, comportant un article qui fixe que la rédaction des communiqués du Congrès soient diffusés en 4 langues (Langue du pays qui reçoit, ANGLAIS, FRANÇAIS, ALLEMAND), ne sont pas respectés !